Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The 1984 Blazer

Today at work I had to put my office back together.  We had new flooring installed and I had to box everything up last week – today was the day to unpack.  I keep a lot of things in my office that are sentimental and I found myself reminiscing today.  
While I was unpacking I ran across an old picture – it was a picture of my 1984 Chevy Blazer … That I bought in 1999.  I bought the Blazer for $750 … And even then I overpaid.  That fine purchase left me with a whopping $50 in my account.  To top it off, it wouldn’t start in the rain and it wouldn’t start in the cold – so when I found a job and could drive to work, I drove on days that I could have walked. 
I was driving to (or walking long distances in the cold and rain), to a horrible company.  I was doing inside sales – with no commission – for $7.50 an hour.  I had taken the “promotion” to inside sales willingly to get out of the warehouse that never seemed to dip below 150 degrees in there.  I got out of the heat but found myself working even harder – but now stuck behind a desk - for the same pay.
Even though at this moment I’m more than thankful for what I had –and I received sales experience that built up my resume - I was very angry I didn’t have more.  I felt like I should have been driving something better, working for a better company and making more than what I was.  And, in all actuality, maybe I should have been at least DRIVING something more reliable. 
What I didn’t realize at the time is that I was paying my dues.
It’s cliché, isn’t it?  Paying dues - what a concept!  It’s almost like that’s what we tell ourselves so we feel better about our circumstances – and we remind ourselves about how cliché it is every time we meet adversity in our lives or careers.  But in the same respect, that time in my life was full of new experiences and so much joy … And I missed it.  I can look back and enjoy remembering those times, but I totally missed the joy in the moment while I was living it due to feeling like I deserved more.
I keep the picture of the Blazer in a frame on my desk to remind myself that in sadness and pain, I’m learning and growing.  And that Blazer is a constant reminder to me that if I focus on finding happiness in learning from my mistakes, life will always improve.
Finding joy on a daily basis doesn’t mean that life is “rolling your way”.  Finding joy on a day to day basis means that you realize there is joy in learning, joy in change and joy in pain.
Don’t miss the lesson of today.  Don’t miss the awesome experience of a life lesson.  And don’t ever regret your life – you’re where you’re at for a reason. 

To the hard road of happiness,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment