Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Lose the weight for GOOD!

About two and a half years ago, I found myself single after a long term relationship ended and the heaviest I had ever been.  I had slowly been gaining weight for over a year and it just seemed like I couldn’t stop the ship from sinking.  I’m 5’7” and weighed in at an unhealthy 187 pounds … And I was incredibly unhappy.

I had no idea where to begin and focusing on a healthier me seemed confusing.  I had tried to diet many times before, but fell incredibly short of my goals … And after I failed at my diets, I always put the weight back on – and then some. 

I decided at that point that I needed to make a total life change.  And I had to make small steps to ensure my success.  I knew I had to give up white flour, sugary soda and most of my sugar … But I also knew that if I didn’t do it slowly, I was sure to fail.

I began making small changes.  My first step was switching to wheat pasta.  As soon as I adjusted to the change and I was comfortable, I switched to diet soda.  When I adjusted to diet, I switched to water … You get the idea.  Bottom line is that the old adage is true – small steps equal big results!  I started seeing great results and I was beginning to drop sizes.

I’m proud to say that over the two and a half years of my journey, I have lost a successful 60 pounds.  Though my weight fluctuates a bit, I have stuck to my life changes.  Yes, I cheat at times, but I know they are “cheats” – not a constant way of life anymore.

As we come upon the New Year and our resolutions start, remember how little things add up to make a big difference.  And if you’re a comfort eater like me, remember that food has a purpose to keep the body working and active – and food visits many parts of our bodies, not just our mouths and stomachs.  Just because it tastes good at the moment doesn’t mean that if feels good to your heart, your stomach or your arteries. 

To give you a head start on your resolution to lose some of the Holiday weight, here are some tips that I’ve collected over my weight loss journey:
-         Carbohydrates are a great source of energy.  But be aware of how active you are.  The unused carbs in your body turn to sugar and sugar turns to fat.
-         Protein fights carbs.  If you eat spaghetti, be sure you eat a lean meat with it.  Grilled chicken or tofu is great.
-         Your body is a furnace.  Many times I hear of people not eating to lose weight.  Be aware that 4 hours after eating, your body goes into survival mode and stops processing food as a survival technique.  To keep your body burning through carbs, sugar and fat, you need to keep your body fed with high protein, low sugar/fat food.  Keep the furnace burning and the weight will “burn” away!
-         Exercise takes mental toughness and will hold you to your new eating habits.  Believe me – if you cheat by having a sugary soda or donut, the next day on the treadmill you will feel it!  Beyond that, it just makes you feel better.  And in these winter months, we can use all the help we can get. 
-         As a general rule of thumb, meals should stay at 500-600 calories with under 10g of sugar and snacks between meals should be about 150 calories with 5-6g of sugar.
-         Lastly, be careful about sugar substitutes.  Your body can’t tell the difference from real sugar to sugar alcohols.  Fat in the body thrives on the sugar alcohols so there may be times that having the real sugar is better for you. 

Good luck in your journey to health this year!  Read labels, consult your doctor, talk to a coach and get your support system set. 

This is your year!

To the road of happiness,
Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment